A blog for fatties.

For people who live to eat--not eat to live.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

kapow sock bam whack biff...Zipang!


Though it may sound like an onomatopoeic sound effect, straight out of an episode of the 1960's Batman series, you might be surprised to learn that Zipang is Japan's answer to Champagne. A sparkling Sake, Zipang is a naturally carbonated beverage with a relatively low alcohol content at 7%. I first tasted this pleasantly refreshing drink at Cha Ya Cafe in Columbia, Maryland. It has a hint of sweetness at first taste, but maintains a certain crispness and is dry on the finish. Sushi and champagne are a natural pairing, but what better combination can there be than sparkling sake and sushi?

The drink paired exceptionally well with my assorted sashimi and left me thirsting for more. Despite the fact that my lunch went way over budget (and it wasn't because of the sake) Cha Ya Cafe will see me happily return to enjoy yet another glass of Zipang. Sadly, I've come up empty-handed in my search for Zipang in liquor stores. I suppose there isn't enough of a demand for it just yet. Oh, if you happen to go to Cha Ya for lunch and aren't a sushi connoisseur, go on a Wednesday and ask for their mango chicken special. It is fantastic! The vegetables are so perfectly crisp! They are also known to serve great Thai food. If you haven't yet had your fill of mango, share a mango with sticky coconut rice for dessert with your guest. Plan to take the rest of the day off.

No comments:

Post a Comment